The dry spell in September and October has caused Shemaron’s decks to leak more than normal, this water collected in the bilge in two sections. The water collecting under the fish hold was easily taken care of by the automatic pumps, the water under the engine, however, was a different matter. During the last five years, there have been two instances when diesel and gearbox oil has been lost into the bilge beneath the engine. A failed gearbox supply pipe and a leaking diesel tap were to blame. Despite trying specially designed bilge water filters (which blocked causing the pump to spin in a useless manner until the batteries went flat) and oil absorbent pads we found it difficult not to leave telltale oil slicks on puddles which cannot be tolerated in a marina such as this. In fact, we did have to pay out for the costs of a clean up on one occasion, this was understandable as the oil would have found its way into the harbour and we agree that this couldn’t be allowed to happen.
We had to laboriously decant the oily water into 20-litre jerry cans, lower them to the ground and dispose of them in the correct manner. Eventually by the use of absorbent pads and the re-positioning of our pumps we seemed to have reached a solution, also the decks have tightened up removing the cause of water ingress.
This seemingly simple and relatively inconsequential task was totally un-foreseen and has taken too many hours to fix, it has hindered other tasks that should have progressed further by now. We have often encountered the unexpected during this project, the fact that we are unable to anticipate every eventuality reinforces the sheer enormity of the task ahead.
We still intend launching Shemaron in early spring and will be looking to assemble a work party to help re-paint Shemaron’s beautifully shaped hull around that time. Meanwhile, the trustees are working hard to get funding applications out, we hope for your continued support by visiting our online shop here where we have t-shirts and calendars for sale.